The answer is Lansdowne FC 1872.
As one of the 12 invited teams at this year’s 12th Lignano International Cup, and as one of the ‘oldest rugby clubs in the world’, we asked incoming Club President, Dermot McCarron, to relax in his ‘Lansdowne striped deckchair’ and give us 5 ‘Super’ insights into what it means to be 140 years old.
Without hesitation, he offloaded 5 gems:
1. Lansdowne was founded 7 years after the American Civil War ended. (Very, very interesting)
2. Lansdowne is older than the Wimbeldon Tennis Tournament. (Nice & very seasonal. Waiter, another Spritz for Dermot!)
3. Lansdowne have been playing rugby in the same location on Lansdowne Road, Dublin for 140 years. (Now THAT really is AWESOME!)
4. Lansdowne’s club colours have never changed since Day 1. (Heritage & Tradition, we’re lovin’ it.)
5. It took 139 years for Lansdowne to be invited to play at the Lignano International Cup. (Well…….,what can we say……… just goes to show what an honour it is to be invited to play Lignano Super Beach 5’s Rugby! J )
It’s clear….these Irish guys are made of STUFF WE LIKE. If you want to learn more about their wonderful rugby history, click on the link….www.lansdownerugby.com
You can of course meet and greet the “Lansdowne 140” team on 14-15 July Lignano Sabbiadoro. No doubt, they’ll be looking to crown their birthday celebrations by making a little bit of Beach history. In the meantime, let’s all be upstanding, raise a glass and toast…..
” Lansdowne 140 “
This is SUPER BEACH 5’s RUGBY. Not for your Average “Rugby Clubs”.
14-15 July 2012 – 12th Lignano International Cup & 1st European Beach Rugby Clubs Cup
Lignano Beach Arena, Lungomare Trieste, Ufficio / Spiaggia # 7,
Lignano Sabbiadoro, ITALY.